“So, what are you going to DO next year?” Here at Johnson Service Corps we believe young adults are asking a different question:
“Who do I want to BE?”
Is Johnson Service Corps right for you? Ask yourself:
- Do I want to commit to a year of living intentionally and discerning my life’s calling? JSC is a year-long program designed to help young adults learn how to go on an inward/outward journey of listening to and responding to one’s “call” to participate in God’s dream of justice and peace for the world.
- Do I fit the age and skills requirements? JSC welcomes single young adults between the ages of 21 and 30 who are college graduates or young adults with comparable experience and who desire a year to serve others and to explore the spiritual questions that bring meaning to life. JSC is rooted in the contemplative and social justice practices of Christian tradition and welcome people of all spiritual expressions who wish to discern and live our their call authentically.
- Do I want to live in intentional community? JSC creates a diverse community that strives to diminish the boundaries that typically divide humanity. Intentional community involves living in a house of 6-8 people, forming a covenant “Rule of Life” together, and seeking connection, compassion, and spiritual growth within the community life together.
- Can I commit to the time frame? The JSC program year begins in mid-August and ends on July 31st of the following year.
- Can I commit to living simply? JSC provides housing, utilities, a communal food stipend, health insurance, mileage reimbursement and a modest personal stipend (currently $220/mo) for the duration of the program. Corps members are usually able to cover their basic expenses within this budget. Most student loan servicers will defer loan payments during a corps members year of service and we can help you get that set up.
If you answer “yes” to all these questions, we hope you will apply to Johnson Service Corps!
- Apply online: JSC is part of the Episcopal Service Corps, a network of diverse service programs and communities throughout the US. JSC uses the application shared by all ESC programs. You may apply to as many as 7 programs with the same application. Click here to access the online application and more info about ESC programs.
- Interview online or by phone: Once we have received a complete application, JSC will contact the applicant to schedule an online or phone interview. All ESC programs must wait to offer positions until after First Offer Friday in late January (see below). After that, applications are reviewed, interviews are scheduled, and positions are offered on a rolling basis. Therefore, it is advantageous for applicants to apply when ready and not wait to apply right before the deadlines.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to be sure that all pieces of the application have been received. We will NOT conduct interviews until an applicant’s application is complete.
Application Timeline for 2017-18 Program Year
- December 1st: Application opens at www.episcopalservicecorps.org
- January 16th: Regular Deadline
- January 27th: First Offer Friday
- March 15th: Spring Deadline
- June 1st: Summer Deadline
- After the FOF offers are made, JSC continues to receive applications, interview applicants, and offer positions on a rolling basis throughout the spring.
If you’d like to receive a reminder email about the application and deadlines, please fill out the form below.
Questions? Email email@example.com or call (919)442-2568.